Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My 2012 To-Do List

Earlier this year--the first day of the year actually--I posted My 2011 To-Do List. I'm happy to report that I accomplished two (and a half) of my six goals. I published a collection of poetry (actually two), helped my Tiger Cubs have a great year, and I did pay off all my credit cards--but then we had Hannah and now we're back in a position of paying down our debt. So it goes.

The reason I'm not bummed that I only had a 33% success rate is that I can try again in 2012, and I'm an eternal optimist!

Here's my 2012 To-Do List:
  • Make 300+ Not Bob blog posts. In 2009, I posted 23 times; in 2010, I made 61 posts; and this year will probably finish with around 180-ish. With a spiffy editorial calendar I've been developing for a few months, I think 2012 is going to share some of the best Not Bob posts ever.
  • Eat healthier and exercise regularly. I think one of my problems with achieving health-related goals in 2011 is that I quantified the process. As a result, I either put off certain tasks because I "still had time" to get them later, or I gave up completely because "I was out of time" to hit certain numbers.
  • Run a half-marathon. For 2011, I wanted to run a marathon. However, training for a marathon is a huge (and overwhelming) process. In 2012, I'm going to shoot for an easier objective with the hope that if I can check this off my list that I'll be ready to take the next step in 2013.
  • Help Den 2 Cub Scouts have another great year. My Tiger Cubs are now Wolves, and they'll be Bears by the end of 2012. As in 2011, my goal will be to help them achieve their goals, learn more about the world around them, and have fun in the process.
  • Pay off all credit cards. As I mentioned above, Tammy and I actually accomplished this task at one point in 2011, but then, we had Hannah and were forced to stretch our financial resources a bit through the end of this year. However, we're in a great position to check this off the list in 2012--and keep it crossed out going forward. Then, we can focus on eliminating all our other combined debts.
  • Assemble a full length collection of poems. In 2011, I published and sold out two poetry chapbooks. In 2012, I'd like to at least assemble a full length collection--and for extra credit, secure publication for it.
*****

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Plus, sign up for free e-mail updates from this blog in the top right-hand corner of the page.



*****

Check out previous Not Bob posts:

13 comments:

Andrea (Andee) Beltran said...

Wishing you success in 2012, Robert! I'm working on my goals this week.

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Thanks, Andrea!

Sarah said...

Great list, and I love your optimism! Just found your blog today- looking forward to reading those 300+ posts in 2012!

Maureen Hawes said...

One of the things I love about this time of year is the chance to re-boot. What wasn't completed to my satisfaction in 2011 can now be re-packaged for 2012. As you have done, reviewing why certain goals weren't accomplished is a major part of creating more attainable goals going forward. I've chosen 5 "Major Themes" for the year - Working toward Financial Serenity; Becoming more Fit and Healthy; Creating a Peaceful, Attractive Home; Competing my horse successfully (I've been out of the show ring for 8 years); and working toward being a commercially successful writer. (Meaning selling at least some of my work). I sold my first piece in 2011 - so it was a great boost and I'm looking forward to all (or at least most) of the "Action Items" that fall under my 5 categories.
Best of luck to you in 2012!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! You have some great goals. :)

Matthew Schultz said...

You give me great inspiration, as I am also in debt. But besides that, you inspire me to get some work published.
For many years, I fancied myself a writer, but kept throwing out pages and pages of what I thought was garbage. Then, a few months ago, I had a renewed vigor. I started work on a large project and I finally realized that I should actually edit my work and continue working on it.
While that large piece of work is on temporary hold, I have decided on submitting some short stories to magazines to make a name for myself. I am now 6,000 words into my first short story and 1,000 into my next. The prior I plan on finishing by the end of January and submitting to Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine. The latter I am hoping will come out a bit longer and (as of now) hope to publish as my first book.
Good luck to you and your goals for 2012!

Emma Burcart said...

That's a good list. I like that you are focusing on eating healthy, exercising, and running a half-marathon rather than losing a certain number of pounds. And getting rid of credit card debt is on my list of things to do in 2012, too. Thanks for the reminder.

Cornelia DeDona Photography said...

good goals--I too wish you success!

Anonymous said...

my post today was on reflection which fits perfectly with goal-setting for 2012! best of luck on the resolutions!

Carole Spearin McCauley said...

Dear Bob, I didn't know before that you are a poet. Do send me info about your chapbooks. Will you attend Writers Digest coming conference in NY? Carole Spearin McCauley in NH. mccauleycarole@hotmail.com

Cheryl B Lemine said...

One of my goals is to subscribe to your blog! I just did! Now to write my others. I have Writer's Market 2012 and want to thank you for your excellent editorial work. I'm actually reading the articles in the front and finding really helpful info about online writing.

I suppose one of my goals is to determine what planning and executing I need to do so once May gets here I'll be freelancing fulltime when I'm not teaching this summer.

I teach in the Creative Writing Department at LaVilla School of the Arts in Jacksonville, FL.

Heathter said...

I ran a marathon in 2000. It's not all that. Since then I've run 5 half marathons and they are da bomb! It's the PERFECT distance. Long enough that you feel like you've accomplished something, but short enough that you're not debilitated for a week afterward (not to mention the training, like you said). I'm hooked on 13.1. You will be too. I did one last November and am doing another this February and another in April. GO, MAN, GO! You can do it!

Julia Tomiak said...

I just started blogging in October, and your report of your posts for the past few years has helped me set realistic goals for my blog this year. Thanks for always having helpful content on your blog. I love lists too. Now, off to write goals for 2012!